Windows port of Samba 4 branch

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Nov 6 16:30:14 GMT 2004

Hi Steven,

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:38:01AM -0800, Steven Edwards wrote about 'Re: Windows port of Samba 4 branch':
> --- "Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" <metze at samba.org> wrote:
> > - I would like to see the actuall diff output, to see what build
> > configure changes are needed
> >    for this.

> Right now there is no diff other than what I and Elrond added to
> Samba-Tng when I started looking in to this project. I am starting from
> scratch and trying to figure out the best way to go about the port.

> There are a few issues that need to be addressed before I can even
> start to tackle the code.

> 1. Perl on MSYS sucks. I am having some issues with the IDL compiler so
> I have been generating the headers and ndr stuff using cygwin. Really
> what would be nice would be if the Samba *.idl files could be compiled
> with MIDL and WIDL as ReactOS will end up using the IDL compiler from
> WINE.
I've been working towards accepting MIDL-like syntax in pidl. At the
moment pidl and midl use the same syntax, with a few exceptions:

- Everything [out] in MIDL has one pointer more then in pidl.. (pointer
is not actually used on the wire).
- Pidl has a few extensions of it's own (value, relative, subcontext,
  nodiscriminant)
- And of course the MIDL features PIDL doesn't support. At the moment,
  this is mainly the support for type libraries.

However, the output generated by widl is much like that of midl while
the output generated by pidl is very very much Samba-specific...

In other words: Using the same IDL files might work in the end, using
the same compiler might prove to be a bit of a problem without large
changes to WIDL.

Cheers,

	Jelmer