Removing M4 code from the build system

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 2 01:42:01 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:28, John H Terpstra wrote:
> Jelmer,
>
> I think this would be a good move if it removes our dependence on automake and
> autoconf.

We don't depend on automake, only autoconf.

> - John T.
>
> On Monday 01 November 2004 12:37, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Hi Metze, *,
> >
> > Since the build system already depends on perl, what would you think
> > about replacing all the current m4 code with perl code ? Basically
> > that would give us:
> >
> >  - No different config.{mk,m4} files (just one config.pm file)
> >  - Ability to do our own caching of checks and ability to write
> >    clearer tests
> >  - More flexibility (e.g. you could import a pidl module to figure out
> >    the dependencies of a .idl file)
> >  - Less hassle when generating the build system and less dependencies.
> >    The code path would be reduced from :
> >    		M4 -> shell -> perl -> {makefile, config.h}
> > 		perl -> {makefile,config.h}
> >
> > Most of the current perl scripts wouldn't need changes (makefile.pl and
> > smb_build.h.pl), it would mostly involve converting the current M4
> > files to Perl.

One of the (few) advantages of the current system is that it is
comparatively easy to pinch configure examples from standard
references/other projects.

But I would love to see the end to the use of M4, if it means I can
understand the new system.  Perhaps we would use M4 for the traditional
configure stage, with perl after that?

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net