[sds@epoch.ncsc.mil: Re: dynamic context transitions]

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Nov 1 18:34:15 GMT 2004

discussions on the selinux mailing list appear to be advocating
a patch to selinux which proposes to add [and the analogy is
incredibly loose] an seteuid-like functionality.

selinux doesn't have the concept of users: only what is called "domains"
[which are not to be confused with NT domains].

at present, the only way to transition between one domain and another is
to exec[v] another process: given the name of the executable doing the
exec'ing and also the name of the executable _being_ exec'd, the new
process obtains [transitions to] a predetermined set of permissions
[e.g. allow read access to samba config files, allow read write
 remove and rename access on user files]

under the proposed modifications to selinux, an _existing_ process can
(if it has permission) obtain [transition to] a new set of permissions.

hence, at the point where seteuid() is used in samba, a call to a
[proposed] SE/Linux function would allow samba to transition from one
domain [a root-only, configuration-file-accessing-only domain] to
another [a user-file-accessing domain].

this would be in become_user().

of course - unbecome_user() would also need to be able to
transition back again, using the same [proposed] function: just back
to the domain named oh i dunno "smbd_as_root_t" or something.

l.

----- Forwarded message from Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil> -----