Winbindd-to-Passwd/Group Conversion Script

William M. Grim wgrim at siue.edu
Wed May 26 06:39:21 GMT 2004

Hey there!

I created a script that takes information from an NT domain using two
calls from wbinfo and creates flat files out of them, much like
/etc/passwd and /etc/group.  The good thing about this is that they can
then be passed to /var/yp and used for creating maps in a NIS
environment.  Other possibilities are possible as well, such as creating
LDIF files out of the flat files or something.

Anyway, this is what I gave the Windows admin so that he could
synchronize our Unix systems immediately against the NT domain when he
added new users.  We use ssh keys to pass the files to the NIS server
over scp and then use ssh to execute a remote command to sync the NIS
with the new files.

Using this method, we no longer pull information from NT domains for
sync'ing our NIS servers/clients.  We now have a push method that is
immediate and effective.

I thought giving this to samba.org would be beneficial to more people
than just me.  It'd be great to see this added as a tool to the samba suite.

Thanks for your time.

PS: The only docs I created are in the comment at the top of the file
and in the usage() subroutine whenever you run the script without enough
parameters.  It assumes that you already have winbindd setup and
properly connected to a domain.

--
William Michael Grim
Student, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
Email: wgrim at siue.edu