Samba 2.2.9 + Squid 2.5STABLE1 winbind

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 14 22:55:51 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 02:38, Tiago Filipe Dias wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm having a problem integrating Samba 2.2.9 with Squid, for authentication
> purposes using winbind.
>
> I've browse the web for similar cases and tried everything that as been
> pointed, unfortunetely without success.
>
> Compile samba with --with-winbind --with-winbind-auth-challenge, join domain
> with smbpasswd -j -U, domain is joined but wbinfo -u/-t/-g reports errors.
>
> Strange is that compiling Samba 3.0.4 all goes well except when trying to
> work with squid (/path/to/squid/prefix/libexec/wb_auth) which reports
> winbindd is not accessible.
>
> Conclusion
> If I compile samba 3.0.4 i can join domain, wbinfo and list windows
> users/groups and have challenge/response output from -t, with 2.2.9 I join
> domain but everything else is not functional.

This is because, as I think is described in a number of places, you
cannot use the 'squid' helpers with Samba 3.0.  You must instead use
'ntlm_auth', a helper program provided by Samba 3.0 for exactly this
purpose.

> On the other hand compiled with samba 2.2.9, squid wb_auth is able to
> contact winbind, contrary if compiled with 3.0.4.

The winbindd interface changes between every version of Samba, it's an
internal interface.  To get things going, we originally had squid
calling that interface, but this is why we quickly dropped that idea...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net