Can I assume that symbols like EHOSTDOWN and EADDRNOTAVAIL ar e portable

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Sun May 9 23:32:00 GMT 2004

Richard Sharpe [mailto:rsharpe at richardsharpe.com] asked:
> Can I assume that symbols like EHOSTDOWN and EADDRNOTAVAIL
> are portable? Can anyone cast any opinions on whether or
> not the above symbols are available across a wide range
> of implementations these days?

Neither are defined in POSIX-96. Not much a surprise, since POSIX-96 doesn't
define any of the network functions.

POSIX-2001 does define many network functions, and I see that it defines
EHOSTUNREACH and EADDRNOTAVAIL.  It does not define EHOSTDOWN.

Stratus VOS defines EHOSTDOWN, EHOSTUNREACH and EADDRNOTAVAIL.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant