Kerberos case sensitive with Mac OS X on Samba 3.0.x

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Wed May 5 17:39:38 GMT 2004

Hi List,

	I'm having an issue between Samba and OS X with regards to Kerberos authentication to a Samba AD member server.
I'm using local UNIX accounts and entries in the passdb instead of Windind on the samba server, ie create account by adding
to /etc/passwd then smbpasswd -a username. From an OS X client system if I obtain a ticket for user "UserA" like
kinit UserA at KERBEROS.REALM then when I run klist I see the default principal remebers the case I used to obtain the ticket.
Now when I try and access my Samba member server I successfully recieve a ticket for the Samba server and am able to access
the server as expected.
However if I then try kinit usera at KERBEROS.REALM (username is wrong case) I again successfully recieve my TGT but with
the default principal listed in lower case and when I try and access the Samba server I get this error "could not connect to server
because user or password was incorrect". This is a big problem because when using the Apple AD plugin for authentication it
always requested the ticket with a lower case username! Also this problem does not affect Kerberos authentiction to a Windows
member server only Samba.
Can anyone shed any light on this, whose fault is it? Samba or Apple?

		thanks Andy Smith.

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.