Status on fixes for MS04-11/MS04-12/KB828741 issues

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 2 23:03:37 GMT 2004

I realise that a large number of sites have been bitten by the bad
interaction between this hotfix, and Samba.

I have finally managed to spend some time looking into this, and have
reproduced it in my test environment.  There appears to be an issue with
the NTLMSSP layer used by windows clients to wrap password change
requests.

Fortunately, I have also shown that it is possible to construct a shim
involving Samba4's RPC proxy server, to correctly change passwords from
these Windows clients.

While certainly not a solution for a production environment, it shows us
a means forward for fixing this issue, using existing code, and known
algorithms.

As you are all aware, with the Sasser worm out and about, applying this
fix is no longer optional, and we are working hard on finding a
solution.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net