Added OS/2 EA's to smbd

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Mar 31 05:48:36 GMT 2004

Richard Sharpe said:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Tim Potter wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 06:29:18PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>>
>> > If you create a file with EA's on a NTFS filesystem and then copy it
>> > onto the smbd filesystem the EA's don't get copied by the "copy"
>> > command, or by an explorer copy, so I'm guessing they're completely
>> > ignored by Win32.
>>
>> Doesn't Word use EAs to set author information and other stuff that
>> appears when you do right click properties on a file?  Or am I getting
>> confused with something else?
>
> Word will use named data streams if the file system supports them.

Actually I think that information comes from the Properties stream of the
Word disk file itself. You don't need filesystem support for that. Word,
Excel and PowerPoint are all OLE Structured Storage Compound Documents
which is basically "a filesytem within a file" with an FAT and directory
entires stored as RB tree's and so on.

Mike