[OT]: Externalized KDC ...

Luke Howard lukeh at PADL.COM
Thu Mar 25 10:56:18 GMT 2004

Generally there are two choices: individual workstations can use
an external KDC for authentication, with the proviso that users
must have local accounts; or you can setup a cross-realm trust
between an Active Directory domain and a "MIT" Kerberos realm,
with the proviso that MIT accounts must be duplicated in Active
Directory. In either case you need some sort of password
synchronization in order for downlevel (NTLM) authentication to
work.

("MIT" in this case is Microsoft-speak for non-Active Directory
Kerberos. You could of course use Heimdal or CyberSafe.)

-- Luke