Fw: Performance of smbldap-user tools when adding large numbers of users

John P Janosik jpjanosi at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 23 15:37:48 GMT 2004

This isn't totally a Samba issue but I am hoping someone here can provide
some ideas how to update the smbldap tools to perform well with large
numbers of users and groups.  The tools currently get the next gid or uid
to use by iterating through every group or user in ldap to find the maximum
uid/gid currently used.  I would like to change to tools to store a next
gid and uid in ldap but I don't know where it would go.

It seems to me this belongs more with the nis schema than with the samba
schema as suggested by Jérôme since the same problem would exist when using
ldap to store users when Samba is not involved.  Can anyone give me a
feeling for how hard it would be to get either the nis schema or
samba.schema changed to include a nextuid and nextgid?  Should the tools
instead store the nextuid and nextgid locally on the PDC?

Thanks,

John Janosik
IBM Global Services SDC Northeast

Jérôme Tournier <jerome.tournier at idealx.com> wrote on 03/23/2004 04:39:47