Multiple exclusions with smbclient

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Thu Mar 18 08:37:39 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am member of the AMANDA-core-developers and would like to ask for
help and information on the following topic, as John H. Terpstra has
pointed me to you:

As you may know, AMANDA as one of the leading open-source backup-tools
has the ability to use smbclient to backup SMB-shares.

In terms of backup it is often very useful to be able to exclude stuff
like pagefiles, temp-dirs, and such.

As smbclient currently only supports ONE exclude-option, AMANDA is
bound to this limit in backing up SMB-shares, too.

I have repeatedly posted this on the samba-list without replies.

---

Can you tell me if it would be possible/senseless/somewhat-else to add
support for multiple excludes to the smbclient-binary?

I understand that it is some kind of speed-issue to not allow
unlimited regular-expression-style-exclusion with smbclient.

We have tried to construct various wrappers around smbclient to
implement the exclusion-behaviour amanda-users would like to see
without too much effort.

---

Getting this functionality into smbclient would help us to improve the
usability of the AMANDA/Samba-combination for our users.

Please CC: me as I am not subscribed to the samba-technical-list.

Thank you.

--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger