NTLMv2 response generation, samba3.0.2a

Jianliang Lu j.lu at tiesse.com
Wed Mar 17 16:28:12 GMT 2004

Hi all,
I've noticed that the Windows XP generate differently the ntlmv2 response
when its NTLMv2 hash uses also the DOMAIN NAME and which NAME has a dot ".".
For example, if I have a domain which name is "SAMBA.DOM" and a Windows XP
(configured to send only NTLMv2 response) try to join that domain and it will
failed due to the mismatch of NTLMv2 response. But if the DOMAIN name has no
DOT ".", or DOMAIN name is not included at the NTLMv2 hash (Checking NTLMv2
password without a domain), the NTLMv2 response is generated correctly. Could
anyone give me some info about this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Jianliang Lu

TieSse s.p.a.     Ivrea (To) - Italy
j.lu at tiesse.com   luj at libero.it