PAM error when trying to use SWAT.

Jake Burns burnsjake at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 19:08:47 GMT 2004

I have just installed PAM, LDAP, Kerberos, and a
crapload of other things to get SAMBA to compile with
Active Direcorty on my Slackware 9.1 box.  When I
initially compiled samba with no extra config flags,
SWAT worked fine.  Now when I try to open SWAT after
all these installs, it just loops back to a login
screen.  I've tried every login method I can think of
(DOMAIN\user, root, SAMBA-NAME\root).  None of them
works.  When I look at my log.swat here is what it
keeps saying:

[2004/03/11 11:46:28, 0]
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_error_handler(73)
  smb_pam_error_handler: PAM: Init Failed : Critical
error - immediate abort
[2004/03/11 11:46:40, 0]
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_error_handler(73)
  smb_pam_error_handler: PAM: Init Failed : Critical
error - immediate abort
[2004/03/11 11:46:51, 0]
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_error_handler(73)
  smb_pam_error_handler: PAM: Init Failed : Critical
error - immediate abort
[2004/03/11 12:01:24, 0]
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_error_handler(73)
  smb_pam_error_handler: PAM: Init Failed : Critical
error - immediate abort

Do you have any suggestions on how to get this
working?

Here are the most recent entries from my log.smbd and
log.nmbd as well.

log.smbd:  "[2004/03/11 12:07:19, 0]
lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_open_connection(533)
  ldap_initialize: Time limit exceeded
[2004/03/11 12:07:19, 1]
lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_retry_open(896)
  Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
[2004/03/11 12:07:19, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_search_one_group(1668)
  ldapsam_search_one_group: Problem during the LDAP
search: LDAP error: (unknown) (Time limit exceeded)
[2004/03/11 12:07:19, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(677)
  '/drivers' does not exist or is not a directory,
when connecting to [drivers]"

log.nmbd:
"UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found.
[2004/03/11 11:13:37, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(326)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name
FRESHWATER<1c> from IP 10.0.0.144 on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found.
[2004/03/11 11:18:39, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(326)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name
FRESHWATER<1c> from IP 10.0.0.144 on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found.
[2004/03/11 11:18:41, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(326)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name
FRESHWATER<1c> from IP 10.0.0.144 on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake