ClearCase/SAMBA- help required

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Mar 9 16:31:59 GMT 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:42:56AM -0500, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:

    Javid> HI Eric I meant problem is not fixed for us, meaning we
    Javid> still see user having problem readig file, I guess its not
    Javid> samba related, but I just wanted you experts opinion.

It depends -- I would need to see more information from the error
log.

The typical pattern I have seen is that there are three error messages
in the view log, 2 Errors and 1 Warning. The messages look like this

WARNING
text_file_delta: Error: Unable to open file "\\nbvws011\vobs\M3900vobs\ipt_ldx.vbs\s/sdft\31/12/0-6109c8e2a1fd4efa8871e2fd3947ba27-3v": Permission denied

ERROR
view_server.exe(1592): Error: Type manager "text_file_delta" failed construct_version operation.

ERROR
view_server.exe(1592): Error: Unable to construct cleartext for object "0xB9B" in VOB "nbvws011:/vobs/M3900vobs/ipt_ldx.vbs": error detected by ClearCase subsystem

If you are seeing a pattern similar to this, then most likely the
problem is with the username map.

However, they are additional possibilities if you are *sure* that the
username map is correct

1. The top-level VOB storage directory may have restrictive
   permissions. For example, it might be 0750 or 0700. In the the
   example above, the top-level directory is

   \\nbvws011\vobs\M3900vobs\ipt_ldx.vbs

2. An intermediate directory or the source container may have
   restrictive permissions. In the example above, some component of

   \\nbvws011\vobs\M3900vobs\ipt_ldx.vbs\s/sdft\31/12/0-6109c8e2a1fd4efa8871e2fd3947ba27-3v

   may not be accessible.

   You can verify this by doing a dir on the file in question in
   command window (CMD.EXE). Note that you will have to edit the path
   above and convert '/' to '\'. For example, does

   dir \\nbvws011\vobs\M3900vobs\ipt_ldx.vbs\s\sdft\31\12\0-6109c8e2a1fd4efa8871e2fd3947ba27-3v

   work? Can the user 'type' or read this file? If the user can 'type'
   this file and you are getting the error, the problem is that that
   ALBD account can't access this file -- which is usually because the
   username map isn't correct.

3. There may be restrictive permissions on the VOB element you are
   trying to access. That is, the user may not have permission to
   access that element

   Is the user a member of the correct group(s)?

   Does the element have permissions for other?

This is by no means an exhaustive list of various ways that you can
get "permission denied" but it might give you some ideas.

However, 9 times out of 10, the problem is with a missing or bad
username map.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail