i18n question.

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Mar 9 11:05:28 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 23:12, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> yes, it can be done in Samba3 but not in a way that actually would be
> very useful. Samba3 modules work at the libc/syscall level, which
> means that all of the code above that level has already happened with
> the "unix charset" before the module would be called.
>
> So for example all of the code that does case insensitive searches of
> directories will happen with the internal charset, making potentially
> huge numbers of calls down into the filesystem, each of which would
> need to be translated by a Samba3 VFS module.
>
> In contrast the translation will only happen once per SMB request with
> a Samba4 NTVFS module.
>
> The two approaches are completely different really, and if you tried
> to initially implement this in Samba3 then port to Samba4 you'd end up
> with a mess.

Yes your right of course.
What I really meant was that by implementing a samba3 module people can
have it sloooowly working right now.

Of course they will also see in numbers what it means to have an
internal charset and a unix chraset where the barrier on the two is put
on the system call boudaries ... mostly

Another thing that will break for sure are all getpw* calls so the
system _need_ to be in utf8 (if you use utf8 as the default charset) and
only some secondary disk can be in a different charset with samba3+vfs
after all ...

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399