i18n question.

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Mar 8 05:22:53 GMT 2004

Dear Tridge, and all,

>>>>> "Tridge" == tridge  <tridge at samba.org> writes:
(snip)
Tridge> So we would have a share something like this:

Tridge> [legacy]
Tridge> 	ntvfs module = charset-translate
Tridge> 	translate:charset = EUC
Tridge> 	path = /legacy

Tridge> Does that sound OK?

Tridge. This sounds GREAT to me.

By having 'unix charset' as UTF-8, and having ntvfs modules for
CP932 and EUC, I'll have the world closest to what I've been looking
for.

Tridge> On another topic, I know you also would like to use UTF-16 as the
Tridge> internal charset. One of the main problems with doing that is the fact
Tridge> that many C compilers on unix systems only support null terminated
Tridge> 8-bit string constants. On windows they have compiler support for wide
Tridge> characters but we don't on unix. Without that compiler support it is a
Tridge> nightmare dealing with all of the string constants we have to deal
Tridge> with in CIFS. Do a search in Samba for all string constants, and think
Tridge> about how you would convert all those to UTF-16 within the bounds of
Tridge> ANSI-C. That's one of the main reasons why I want the internal charset
Tridge> to be ascii-compatible.

I see your point. Please let me delay this topic until Samba5.
By that time, I might simply give up, or might come to some solution.
# We have to solve endian problem for this topics too, so I agree
# this takes time to solve anyway.

best regards,
----
Kenichi Okuyama