i18n question.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 8 00:49:38 GMT 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:29:31PM +0900, Kenichi Okuyama wrote:

> " DO YOU STILL BELIEVE WE SHOULD USE unix charset AS internal code?
>   OR DO YOU THINK FIXING UTF-8/UTF-16 AS internal code NO MATTER
>   WHAT unix charset MAY BE, IS BETTER? "

Yes the unix charset should be the internal one. No, fixing the
internal charset as utfXX is *not* better.

We write the code for this. See Linus's "he who writes the code
gets to chose" :-).

> I agree that Unicode is far better to do internal treatment of what
> Samba need to do. But if you say we have to use unix charset as
> internal code, YOU ARE FORCING US NOT TO USE UNICODE!! That's
> what'll happen, and that's what I'm claiming about.

Ok, that's fine. No one is making you use unicode. If
you don't then you don't get an international file server,
but that's your choice as you've already decided on a file
system character set that can't represent serbo-croation/sanskrit
and klingon at the same time as Japanese anyway (unless you're
telling me those glyphs are are in CP932 :-).

> 	!WE WANT SAMBA INTERNAL CODE TO BE FIXED TO UNICODE!
> 	        !NO MATTER WHAT UNIX CHARSET MAY BE!
>
> I thought you are understanding this point...

Yes, I have understood that. No is the answer :-).

Jeremy.