i18n question.

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Sun Mar 7 07:20:39 GMT 2004

Dear Michael,

>> Unicode do not fully contain what we had in CP932 nor EUC nor
>> JIS. There is 'machine dependent' characters which causes trouble.
Michael> So you're claiming you cannot map these to Unicode?

I found far better example about why we can't move to Unicode.
I should give you this example before others, so that you will not
stick to conversion problem.

Some WorkStation, like Sony NeWS and several others, as well as
Japanese specific version of popular OS, identify character with
0x80 bit on, as EUC or CP932.

They check for validness of given string as EUC, or CP932.
Unfortunately UTF-8 do not pass this test for most cases.
But user still need to use these OS, and can not move to other OS.

Hence, they need FS charset to be what the OS support. Not UTF-8.

regards,
----
Kenichi Okuyama