i18n question.

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at home.monyo.com
Sun Mar 7 04:46:11 GMT 2004

First of all, as I said:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-March/034717.html

Again our (Kenichi's and my, prolably and Shiro's) point is that:

  Samba should fully support several unix charsets (such as CP932
  and EUC-JP) **for the present**.

  Optimization for ASCII and UTF-8 is OK, but should consider "unix
  charset" is variable, not UTF-8 only.

Explainining the reason, we have to mention the lots of details of
Japanese character processing and Japanese historical reason here,
Samba technical mailing-list as Kenichi said:

|Uh... You are asking me to explain over 20years of history of characters
|in one mail... You should read 'CJKV' for correct and presice story...

So I wish you treat supporting legacy charsets (CP932/EUC-JP) is a
precondition for this discusssion, and to focus on how to support
these variable unix charsets on Samba is better...

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu (monyo)                    monyo at home.monyo.com
                                               http://www.monyo.com/