i18n question.

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Sat Mar 6 10:24:27 GMT 2004

Dear all,

>>>>> "Monyo" == TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at home.monyo.com> writes:
Monyo> |>    Did you know that CP932 have Russian characters in it's character set?
Monyo> |>
Monyo> |>    We found that in some version of Windows, Russian characters have
Monyo> |>    to be treated case-insensitively. We had patches for this in
Monyo> |>    2.2.*, but is lost when we moved to 3.0.
Monyo> // Kenichi, this feature is also included in Samba 3.0.

Ooops, thank you Monyo, and Thank you Satoh-san, for letting me know
about this.

But how did they do it within UTF-8?... I see no code for this in
UTF-8 treating.... Wasn't it far easier to use UCS2/UTF-16?

Monyo> Anyway my (and probably also Kenichi, Shiro's ) opinion stands on that
Monyo> Samba should fully support several unix charsets (such as CP932 and
Monyo> EUC-JP) for the present.

Monyo> "Suggesting UCS-2 as the internal charset" also comes from that point
Monyo> of view.

Agree.

We do WISH TO have unix charset and internal charset equal.  But we
CAN'T. And reason is rather historical and governmential, not
technical.

best regards,
----
Kenichi Okuyama