i18n question.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Mar 6 05:56:05 GMT 2004

Kenichi Okuyama said:
> Dear Michael,

> Michael> The problem is, this isn't java - so UCS2/UTF16 is out.  We have
<snip>
> Q2) I don't see what you mean by "skip UCS2 because this isn't
>     java".

You mis-quoted Andrew. He knows that I do a lot of Java work (I am the
principle author of jCIFS).

> Q3) Wasn't UCS2 part of 'C' string from ANSI-C?
>     Or are you saying " 'C' string " in meaning of old K&R ?

No. ANSI-C defines wchar_t but it doesn't specify what encoding is used to
represent it internally and more important it doesn't specify filesystem
routines. None of the relevant standards (e.g. SUS) specify wide character
filesystem I/O routines.

Mike