i18n question.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Mar 5 23:28:27 GMT 2004

Benjamin Riefenstahl said:
>I.e. you could just convert encodings on the edges of Samba and
> keep everything in (precomposed) UTF-16 or UTF-8 on the inside.

Agreed here too. Use a primary, normalized encoding throughout and provide
the necessary routines to convert for I/O. Otherwise, it doesn't matter
what the performance impact is because you'll be juggling too many
scenarios to make it work at all. If you're real clever about it the
primary encoding could be configurable with a few macros and a abstracted
set of string routines. Then when everything works well you might find a
fast path that isn't too distruptive.

Mike