Aliases only in winbind and then...

Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
Fri Mar 5 14:41:48 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:51:48PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > a) we need a system the mimic windows behaviour as close as possible so
> > that MS System tailored application can work with our PDC.
> >
> > b) we need to ease as much as possible administration issues for our
> > user base as the insights of a domain controller are yet compilcated by
> > itself, requiring our admins to understand the implications of a mixing
> > of semnathics from win32 to unix is most of the time just too much
> >
> > c) we need a consistent account database system not splitted over 100
> > little hacks around the code.
>
> I strongly agree!

I rate a) and b) a lot higher than c). Currently I'm working on the following
basis:

smbd does users and domain groups using the 'add user script' and friends.

winbind does aliases.

smbd does algorithmic id mapping only. winbind does table-based id mapping.

No exceptions.

Let's see how much code we can rip out of HEAD and still provide a full
SAMR/LSA interface to usrmgr.

Volker