Windows WMI (over DCE/RPC) with Samba?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:25:46 GMT 2004

Thank you to all that have posted to this thread!

Jean-Baptiste Marchand Jean-Baptiste.Marchand-at-hsc.fr |Lists| wrote:
> Unfortunately, adding WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) support
> is not as simple as writing an IDL file :(
>
> WMI is based on (D)COM and thus, we would need a (D)COM implementation
> first.

I was just about to give it a go. But OK, now I won't. :-(

> As for WMI itself (Microsoft implementation of the CIM (Common
> Information Model) standard), there is the OpenWBEM project:
>
> 	http://openwbem.sourceforge.net/
OpenWBEM is mainly for WBEM over HTTP, it seems. Especially, it doesn't
do WBEM over (D)COM over MS DCE/RPC, which would be needed to access
windows machines, since they don't do WBEM over HTTP.

Does anyone know of any other way of accessing WMI from (Li|.*)nux?
Otherwise I'll resort to the windows gateway/proxy solution from the OP. :-(

Guys - Thanks a bundle for taking the time to post!!!

Sincerely,

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch