Ethereal, VMware, and duplicate packets

Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com
Sat Jun 26 23:03:28 GMT 2004

"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> writes:

> There's this age-old problem when running vmware and Ethereal on the same
> box.  When sniffing the eth0 interface on my Linux 'host' system, the
> packets sent by the vmware 'guest' system appear twice in the capture.
>
> What's the work-around for this?

You can try setting the vmware guest network adapter to "host only" (giving it
its own network interface and IP address range) and then assign routes on the
Linux (native) side to and from the host-only address range.  This will, of
course, affect how other computers see your vmware guest and vice versa --
i.e. not at all, for a Windows vmware guest and B mode) but if you can live
with that limitation, this just might solve your problem.

Derrell