smbclient failure on 3.0.4

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Jun 25 17:00:46 GMT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Vijay Kumar wrote:

> Hi
>
> Also I think the root user needs to be added using the smbpasswd
> command, right ?

OK, the correct thing to do is to look in log.winbindd. As far as I can
see, all the code that returns NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO does a
DEBUG(0, ...) so you should see the reason in log.winbindd in your case.

It looks like it is having problems fetching the trust account info, which
strongly suggests that either secrets.tdb has been deleted or mangled, or
you did not (re)join the domain.

As a side note, I see that in winbindd_misc.c, this status code seems to
be used for the wrong thing, so you should look at the log.winbindd to
find out exactly what the problem is.

> Kumar.
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 20:19, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Austin, Ben wrote:
> >
> > > I have just gone from samba 2 to 3.0.4. I have compiled succesfully and
> > > wanted to test that smbclient was working as it had for the previous
> > > version.
> > >
> > > When I run  smbclient //<samba host>/<username> it returns the following
> > >
> > > session setup failed: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
> > >
> > > logs show:
> > > [2004/06/24 11:59:37, 5] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(271)
> > >   check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user [root] FAILED with
> > > error NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
> > > [2004/06/24 11:59:37, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(312)
> > >   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [root] -> [root] FAILED with
> > > error NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
> >
> > Have you joined the domain? That's all I can think of at the moment until
> > I get access to the source and find where that return code is coming from.
> >
> > Regards
> > -----
> > Richard Sharpe, rsharpe[at]richardsharpe.com, rsharpe[at]samba.org,
> > sharpe[at]ethereal.com, http://www.richardsharpe.com

Regards
-----