using 'ld -r' and limit the exported symbols

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 23 22:47:56 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 08:18, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Bert Driehuis schrieb:
>
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >

> >>I just found out about the 'ld -r' option which is used for prelinking.
> >>this is used by th elinux kernel for creating only one .o file for a
> >>subsystem.
> >>
> >>I think it would be very usefull to use it in samba4 too, if the linker
> >>supports it.
> >

> > Just out of curiosity -- why?
> >
> > Unless I'm seriously mistaken, it doesn't buy any performance, it will
> > complicate the build process, and it probably will make debugging one
> > notch harder. The only gain I see is reduced diskspace, which is why
> > embedded systems use tricks like this.
>
> I don't want to reduce the binary size,
> what I want to do is having private functions inside a subsystem, which
> should not be accessable by other parts, in the same way we often use
> 'static' function which are private only to one source file.
>
> the debug symbols should not be changed, so a debugger will work the
> same way as before...

I am very sceptical of this, but more-so, I just don't see the point.

The ability to create conflicting functions between files bothers me, as
does the effort required to correctly maintain 'public/private' header
files.

We need to make sure that the build system creates less, not more, work
for us...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net