Reducing LDAP delays with unreachable DCs

Klinger, John (N-CSC) john.klinger at lmco.com
Wed Jun 23 15:30:08 GMT 2004

Joe,

I'm having the exact same problem. I like your suggestions, and would
be interested in seeing your patches, if you can make them available.

I also have been considering one other enhancment. The previously
available DC can be cached. Then when a list of DCs is given, a
connection can be attempted to this cached DC first if it is still in
the DC list. This scheme would only hit the "connect" Timeout when
a DC first fails. Subsequent "connect"s will go to the surviving DC.

The one thing I dislike about this proposal is that if the smb.conf
specifies an explicit "password server" list, the DCs should be checked
in the order specified. If the first DC fails, this mod will prevent Samba
from ever going back to that DC unless Samba is restarted or the
second DC goes down.

John Klinger