multi-session problems, vmware problems

Pitrich, Karl karl.pitrich at fabasoft.com
Tue Jun 22 12:47:03 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 13:46, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Pitrich, Karl wrote:
> | hi all,
> |
> | i encounter 2 problems with 3.0.4, dunno if this is a known
> | bug/limitation:
> |
> | 1) multiple users work on 1 machine via terminal server sessions,
> |    browsing the samba host with explorer shows the home directory of all
> |    users currently logged in on the windows machine.
> |    access to other than my $HOME is denied, though.
>
> This is normal.  Unless it is causing you a problem,
> I wouldn't worry about it.

i am currently ignoring it. as the access is denied, it's not a problem.

> | 2) when a windows machine has a vmware setup with vmware-installed
> |    virtual network adapters, no login is possible, unless the additional
> |    nic's are deactivated.
>
> Binding smbd/nmbd to you main external NIC should solve this
> without shutting down vmware.  I have to do this on my servers
> as well.  (interfaces = lo eth0)

oh, i think you got me wrong, likely due to my questioning :)

my samba does run on a dedicated (hardware) linux machine, not in a vm.

but if the windows client has a VMWare installed, the win client cannot
login to that samba linux-host with stated error messages.
the daemons are actually bound to eth0 only on the samba server.

any hint?

TIA,

 / karl