[NEWS] Build Farm

Vance Lankhaar vance at samba.org
Sun Jun 20 15:41:00 GMT 2004

Hi everyone!

I'd added support to the Samba Build Farm (http://build.samba.org) to
display the log results a little nicer. This includes support to
collapse sections like "configure" "build" etc., as well as support to
collapse specific tests.

Try it out! I think you'll like it, if you're used to searching through
3 megs of logs looking for the specific test that failed.

And if you're not used to searching through looking at failed tests,
then maybe it's time to familiarize yourself with the build farm. If you
submit a patch (or apply one... but I'm assuming all team members are
intimately familiar with the build farm), then see what affect it has on
the build farm when it gets applied.

The build farm is a automated build and test system developed about
three years ago by Andrew Tridgell. Since then, Andrew Tridgell, Andrew
Bartlett, and now myself, have maintained and developed the build farm
to be the system it is today.

Naturally, one of the Samba Team's highest priorities is to make Samba
work as many platforms as possible. The build farm allows us to see how
Samba acts on many difference platforms. Currently we have 47 hosts,
testing Samba on about 40 different architecture/distribution
combinations.

Initially, the build farm tested two versions of samba (then samba HEAD
and samba_2_2) and rsync using one of two compilers. Today, the build
farm tests samba4, samba_3_0, samba_2_2, samba head, the samba
documentation system, rsync, distcc, and ccache, using one of five
compilers.

You think that's impressive? Well, it is! but we still have some
platforms and architectures that we don't have build hosts for. If you
think you have a (non-production) machine that we don't have and could
spare some cpu cycles, let me know! Email me at the above address or
come find me on irc.freenode.net in #samba .

Cheers, Vance

--
Vance Lankhaar
Build Farm Maintainer, Samba Team