libsmbclient and smb_opendir: problem with workgroup

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Mon Jun 14 18:06:15 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 12:55:21PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > Exactly. Could even be a firewall there, I don't know, I don't have access
> > to that machine at the moment.
>
> If you cannot get to the Session Service on that machine then browsing
> will not work.  You really must disable the browse service on that server
> and let some other system act as the browse server.

This affects browsing of the whole network? Including other groups?

> If that's the case, then libsmbclient is doing the right things but cannot
> reach the browse master and, so, cannot obtain the list.

What about the other workgroups?

> Though I agree with many of Derrell's points, the problem in this case is
> that libsmbclient is finding the correct system but that system is
> refusing to do its job (firewall, whatever) and is not providing the
> browse list when asked.

So, duckman is the one which is advertising on having a list of all machines
in the network, including those from other workgroups, is that it? I'm a little
rusty in my knowledge of windows browsing, I suppose there is a role exactly
like this, to maintain a list of all machines in all workgroups. If yes, what
a bad coincidence this is duckman's role :)