Patch: System keytab usage improvements

James, Garrick garrick.james at wamu.net
Fri Jun 11 22:27:06 GMT 2004

> > > Does anyone know whether Samba changes its machine
> account password
> > > periodically when in ADS mode?  How often?  Can the frequency be
> > > tuned in smb.conf?  Dan, does your patch change any of this
> > > behavior?
> >
> > I'll check this out in the code, although my guess would be
> it changes
> > it on the same time frequency that it does for an RPC
> password change.
>
> Currently, we don't.  Only way to change it is with a cron
> based 'net ads changetrustpw' command.

That's what are plan was if Samba didn't do it by itself already--we
just didn't want to be doing it in cron if Samba was already doing it.
Thanks for the information.

> > Thanks a *LOT* for this work. It is *much* appreciated !
>
> Strongly seconded,

A resounding third round of appreciation to Dan and the others who
developed this patch (all I did was some testing).  I think it is
crucial functionality for Samba to be able to co-exist with other
kerberos based tools on the system.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

-Garrick James