Samba UNIX/NT

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jun 11 14:14:38 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:55:29AM -0400, Pimentel, Maria (NE) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed samba on a Solaris 2.6 box, did all configuration but I would
> like to know how can I mount a NT directory into my UNIX box. I looked
> around on the web I found command 'smbmount' but does not exist on my
> server. Any help would be very appreciated.

Maria,

A list of pointers here...

- Samba is a server suite.  It provides Unix printers and directories as
  shares to SMB/CIFS clients.  These are usually Windows systems, but
  Linux, FreeBSD, and MacOS X all can operate as clients.

- Mounting a remote SMB/CIFS share requires a "network filesystem client".
  There are two such clients for Linux (smbfs and cifsvfs), two such for
  Macintosh (Thursby's Dave and the native SMB client filesystem built
  into MacOS X), and one for FreeBSD (Boris Popov's smbfs).

- I do not know of an SMB/CIFS client filesystem for Solaris.  You would
  have to talk to the folks at Sun about that.

- Your question really belongs on the Samba at Samba.org mailing list.  The
  Samba-Technical at samba.org list is used for in-depth discussions of
  protocol details and suchlike.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org