svn commit: samba r1052 - branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb/man/man3

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jun 8 19:47:56 GMT 2004

Hi Tridge,

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 05:47:18PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote about 'Re: svn commit: samba r1052 - branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb/man/man3':
> I don't really mind where the user docs for Samba are put. I'm happy
> to leave that up to your discretion as the Samba docs maintainer. I do
> care about where the programmer docs are kept, and I think they should
> be part of the main source tree. For the separable libraries (libtdb,
> libldb, libdcerpc, libsmb etc) I think keeping the docs for those
> libraries in the subdirectories where the sources are makes
> sense. This makes more minimal pain in separating these libraries from
> Samba for other projects.
Agreed.

> I also think that we don't need to tie the source format of the
> programmer docs to the source format of the user docs. You've done a
> great job developing a documentation framework for the Samba user
> docs, but that framework is a bit heavy-weight for libraries like tdb
> or ldb. For those something light-weight (like yodl or plain text) is
> good. This is especially the case as there are no internationalisation
> issues with programmer docs.
DocBook/XML manpages are quite light. You can generate the manpage
from a DocBook source by running, for example:

xsltproc http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
smbd.8.xml

Most of the framework in docs/ is for getting the smb.conf.5 manpage and the
PDF output right. Generating the manual pages only requires the xsltproc
program, which is part of libxml2 and has no other dependencies.

Anyway, that's just my E 0,02. I don't have any strong feelings about
this, so I'm ok with going for yodl.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--