pdbedit - Export to LDIF

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 7 18:27:07 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:44, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> > 3) Modification of pdb interface to allow bulk updates, either by a new
> > call that adds multiple users at once or by some sort of bulk update
> > flag that lets a backend cache adds until the bulk update is done.
> >  Pros: least-ugly solution, most flexible in the long run
> >  Cons: could be a bit of work, adds yet another call to the pdb
> > interface.
> I'd certainly go for this option (using a new call)... not all backends
> would have to implement such a backend, but it could help performance
> where necessary.

If we're adding an optional call, do you think it's better to have a
bulk update call or a call to begin bulk updates?  For instance:

pdb->pdb_add_bulk_users(...);

Verses:

pdb->pdb_begin_bulk_add(...);

while (...)
  pdb->pdb_add_sam_account(...);

pdb->pdb_end_bulk_add(...);

The advantages to the second one is that it's simplier to take advantage
of in existing code.  It might also allow encapsulation of none-adding
actions (like doing multiple deletes, etc.).

This might be over kill though...

--
Anthony Liguori
Linux/Active Directory Interoperability