pdbedit - Export to LDIF

Julius Enarusai enarusai at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 7 14:48:50 GMT 2004

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
> | Yes, but we're only talking about knowledge of the
> | schema.  If the  pdb_ldap schema changes, there's an
> | awful lot of applications that are  going to have to
> | change..  I don't know if your suggesting that the
> | pdb  layer have a "dump" command or something but
> | I'm not sure that's useful  considering the purpose
> | of this patch.
>
> I agree both with the need and also with abartlet's
> comment that knowledge of the schema in pdbedit
> is not a real good thing.  But I'm open to ideas.
>
> I think even a contributed tool (in examples/) that
> did this would be better that adding it to a core
> tool like pdbedit (which has its own faults right now).

It appears to me that most people agree that the need for a faster means
of adding/exporting users to LDAP do exist. So, I will rework the patch,
removing the code from pdbedit and create a new write-only backend
similar to pdb_xml. This would allow the current pdbedit to import users
from tdb_sam and export to tdb_ldif or something similar. Comments?

Julius