tdb descriptions [was Re: vfs_shadow_copy flexibility]

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Jun 5 22:38:47 GMT 2004

Tom Alsberg wrote:

| P.S. I would appreciate a response to my message of the
| 23rd of May, regarding the meaning of all kinds of files
| in lockdir (unexpected.tdb?)

I'll start.  Some of these, someone else will have to
fill in since I've not had to deal with them in the code
(yet).

(*) information persistent across restarts (but not
necessarily important to backup).

account_policy.tdb*	NT account policy settings
			such as pw expiration, etc...

brlock.tdb		byte range locks

browse.dat		browse lists

connections.tdb		share connections (used to enforce
			max connections, etc...)

gencache.tdb		generic caching db

group_mapping.tdb*	group mapping information

lang_en.tdb		?

locking.tdb		share modes & oplocks

login_cache.tdb*	bad pw attempts

messages.tdb		Samba messaging system

netsamlogon_cache.tdb*	cache of user net_info_3 struct
			from net_samlogon() request (as a
			domain member)

ntdrivers.tdb*		installed printer drivers

ntforms.tdb*		installed printer forms

ntprinters.tdb*		installed printer information

printing/		directory containing tdb per print
			queue of cached lpq output

registry.tdb		Windows registry skeleton
			(connect via regedit.exe)

sessionid.tdb		session information (e.g. support for
			'utmp = yes')

share_info.tdb*		share acls

unexpected.tdb		unexpected packet queue needed to
			support windows clients that respond
			on a difference port that the
			originating request)  (i could be wrong
~ 			on this one).

winbindd_cache.tdb	winbindd's cache of user lists, etc...

winbindd_idmap.tdb*	winbindd's local idmap db

wins.dat*		wins database when 'wins support = yes'

The following tdb's should be backed up IMO:

	nt*.tdb
	account_policy.tdb
	group_mapping.tdb
	share_info.tdb