pdbedit - Export to LDIF

Anthony Liguori aliguor at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 3 14:41:53 GMT 2004

> Implementation comments aside, I'm just not convinced this is even the
> right design.  The knowledge of what LDAP entries mean what is in
> pdb_ldap.c - not in pdbedit.  If we change some detail, we would have to
> update both places.

Yes, but we're only talking about knowledge of the schema.  If the
pdb_ldap schema changes, there's an awful lot of applications that are
going to have to change..  I don't know if your suggesting that the pdb
layer have a "dump" command or something but I'm not sure that's useful
considering the purpose of this patch.

> What is the need for this patch - and could it be implemented like
> pdb_xml - as a passdb backend we could import from and export too?

Performing a large vampire migration to a pdb_ldap backend is painfully
slow.  This patch is meant to facilitate doing a migration to a tdbsam and
then generating an ldif of to populate an ldapsam backend.

Anthony Liguori
Linux/Active Directory Interoperability
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin
E-mail: aliguor at us.ibm.com
Phone: (512) 838-1208
Tie Line: 678-1208

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net

#### signature.asc has been removed from this note on June 03, 2004 by
Anthony Liguori