Really Funky Samba Errors (smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_io ctl)

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Wed Jun 2 20:38:04 GMT 2004

Hi Nick,

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Boyce, Nick wrote:

> Hey look ... I'm just a lurker here, but I imagine it would help the
> denizens of this list (which is a *developer* collaboration list - not
> an end-user help list) if you at least mentioned which _version_ of
> Samba you're using, and what kind of platform you're running it on ....
> and maybe even some details of the network topology - as much detail as

I'm running my own 3.0.4-4.wrl, which is available for consumption from:

  ftp://bagel.express.org/fedora/core2-packages/samba/

It's essentially the official 3.0.4 packages with fixes for the startup
scripts and the much-desired winbind patch for integrated authentication
against Win2k-compatible domains that works (this patch is also included
in Mandrake Cooker, and I'm waiting for some Samba people to pick-up my
Fedora Ce 2 packages and pop them onto the main Samba FTP site ;).  For
the curious, more detailed information about these packages is at:

  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-May/086234.html

The network topology is such that this Samba server is integrated within
the Windows 2000 -type domain.  All the Winbind stuff is groovy.  I have a
Windows 2000 box accessing the server via \\share\name, as opposed to a
mapped drive letter.  What other specific information would helpful here?

Here's a snippet of my pertinent configuration sections:

  [global]
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    realm = MYDOMAIN.COMPANY.COM
    server string = NASONE
    load printers = no
    security = ads
    name resolve order = bcast wins host
    wins server = 10.0.0.150 10.0.0.151

    winbind separator = +
    encrypt passwords = yes
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind cache time = 15
    template shell = /sbin/nologin
    template homedir = /dev/null/%D/%U

    interfaces = 10.0.0.180/24 10.0.1.180/24

    os level = 33
    local master = no
    domain master = no
    preferred master = no
    domain logons = no

    wins support = no
    dns proxy = no

  [volume01]
    comment = volume01
    path = /mnt/volumes/lv01
    public = no
    writable = no
    printable = no
    valid users = @"MYDOMAIN+Domain Admins"
    write list = @"MYDOMAIN+Domain Admins"
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    nt acl support = yes

> Sometimes you'll be lucky and get an answer from one of the developers,
> but they're very busy people ... they don't have time to guess (I can

Right.  I went through the code myself, and it looks as though this IOCTL
function call just isn't implemented.  There's a switch(){case} in there
that essentially hops down to a default because of what seems like the
Windows 2000 server making a call into the Samba box that the Samba box
doesn't understand.  This seems like a Samba implementation issue to me.
Similar areas of the nttrans.c code support things like finding files by
SID, shadow copy services (including in Windows Server 2003 and apparently
Samba through the use of a module of sorts), and vague comments like:

    /* pretend this succeeded - don't know what this really is
       but works ok like this --metze
     */

I think a lot of this stuff was reverse engineered, and I don't really
expect anyone on the users list to have a clue what's going on.  I know I
don't. :)  I did Google first and try to do as much research as I could.
I tried searching the Microsoft KnowledgeBase for any good tidbits, too.

You can be sure I'll help others in whatever way I can when I get this
figured out, just as I tried to do by releasing good Fedora Core 2 RPMs.

I'm really hoping that someone might have a suggestion or two?

If nothing else, I at least appreciate your response, Nick.

__ __ ___ _| | William R. Lorenz <wrl at express.org>
\ V  V / '_| | http://www.clevelandlug.net/ ; "Every revolution was
 \./\./|_| |_| first a thought in one man's mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson