se-samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jun 2 12:45:23 GMT 2004

just wanted to correct some things and also to apologise for having a
bad memory.

now that i recall that it is the SMBsessionandX that needs to be
de-multiplexed (not the SMBtconX unless, like as tridge says,
the SMBsesssetupX is skipped as with share-level security) i should
make this clear.

however, my faulty memory, has, i believe, no impact on the
solution: the solution remains the same (albeit slower than
it could be, and clumsy).

under which circumstances, yes, tridge is right: 1) the TconX
behaviour is irrelevant (for seteuid()) and 2) the present
samba(4) SMB client NT-VFS plugin's behaviour is less than ideal
(in that it creates new tcp connections for every single TconX
as _well_).

... but it will work, and provide the required security semantics.

in the back-end se-samba(3) all that should be required is to run
pam_selinux.so.  and the front-end se-samba(4) just use the new
proxy plugin.

at a later date, improvements in the SMB NT-VFS proxy plugin can
be made (see cliffs or samba tng libsmb code for example, somewhere,
i promise!, of modified libsmb which can do multiple tconXes over
a single TCP connection).

l.