Status on 'don't talk to everybody' in winbindd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 24 00:27:15 GMT 2004

Volker:

I know you were working on making winbindd not talk to all the remote
domain controllers (for your horror 1000 domain networks) at one point -
but I can't see the work in SVN.

For example, for every rescan_trusted_domains(), we still go and ask
each trusted domain for it's domain sid, an operation that is not
cached.  (Unless our primary DC gave us the SID in the list of trusted
domains reply).

My memory tells me that the plan was to only ask our primary domain the
name->SID questions, including that of trusted domains - what happened
to that?  (I see that we always use MSRPC for that connection, which is
a very good start however).

I would certainly like to work with you on that at the CIFS conference,
if not before.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net