Help : Adding smb user on MAC OS X

nandkumar l mane nandu_mane at rediffmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:32:50 GMT 2004

  Dear samba developers ,
I am trying to add smb user using command
  smbpasswd -a Nandkumar
But I was not able to create smb user.

I am getting the following error message.

could not find new user/computer Nandkumar in passdb.
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user Nandkumar.
Failed to modify password entry for user Nandkumar

Nandkumar is already a system user.I am using smbd version 3.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.2 - Darwin Kernel Version 7.3.0.

I have also tried the same on linux machine and it worked fine for me.
I am not able to understand why samba gives the error on Mac OS X.
Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks and Regards
Nandkumar