sAMAccountName vs. userPrincipalName for %S, %U, and %u

Ken Cross kjchome at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 03:06:04 GMT 2004

Sounds good, Jerry -- thanks.

I want to make sure I understand what you're saying.  By "another pipe
call", do you mean another winbindd function like WINBINDD_GETPWNAM?  It
should be straightforward since the information is retrieved during the
normal connection sequence in winbindd in info->acct_name.

Also, all the info in cache is kept by the userPrincipalName (not
sAMAccountName), so a lookup_name_by_sid will get it.

It looks like %n is users for changing passwords, but %l ("long username?")
could be used.  Obviously, it would have to work for RPC, too -- I guess
"long username" would be equivalent to the normal (SMB) username.

Ken