3.0.1 issues

James Bowes james at xisit.net
Tue Jan 27 00:10:26 GMT 2004

Hello.

I am having trouble with my Samba server from 3.0.1 release. I am using
it for a small business in a typical setting - 3 windows 2000
workstations and 1 Win 98 client.

I have found that browsing is a bit problematic. On first boot, the
Samba server works correctly and browsing from the clients works as
expected. Eventually, the clients receive "network name could not be
found errors". The only way to make this disappear is to reboot the
Samba server. Here is a bit more information:

*	hosts allowed = 192.168.
*	listens on the eth0 and lo interfaces - not bound
*	Wins support is enabled - resolution order is the default
*	/var/lib/samba/browse.dat shows a list is created and appears
correct.
*	Local master browser is selected
*	OS level is 34 (just in case)
*	log level is set to: 3 passdb:5 auth:10

>From what I can see, the only errors are "invalid vuid" and "can't
become connected user"

Here are some other issues:

*	There is a single group all users belong to - "groupfoo"
*	The permissions on the Linux side are 770 for files and
directories with the setgid bit activated
*	Some users in the "groupfoo" group can't save files to the main
shares (read only) while others can

I am stumped. I have read the fine manual and googled my eyeballs out.
Is there anyone that may be able to provide some insight as to what I am
overlooking?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Regards,

-james