implementing password lockout

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Mon Jan 26 13:51:33 GMT 2004

Hello Jim, I think rereading Aurélien post would give you the answers.

Clearly NT does not store the login attempt time on the SAM, but also it
does not sync the bad password account unless it is set to max, when you
reach the maximum logon failures it immediately transfers the data to
the others DCs.

This means that you have the time of the lockout (more or less the time
of the transfer, a few seconds/minutes does not really matter),
in case the lockuot is permanent you do not have any problme anyway.

So from the snippets of information we can gather from this discussion,
it seem that each DC, keep a local bad password count with a local last
pab login attempt timer. bad password count is stored in local sam but
not replicated unless you reach the maximum value admitted.

I think we can mimic the same behaviour if needed by storing the last
bad login time on an internal tdb (for ldap, you may think to add a
specific field and store it in ldap, or keep using the internal tdb but
not saving bad password count field unless you reach the max.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399