smb.conf parameters: sendfile, unicode

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Sun Jan 25 12:26:20 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:21:41AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:07:08PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > I just wanted to quickly check with the list on a couple of matters:
> > >
> > > 'use sendfile = yes' is still not the default.  It talked to jra at
> > > linux.conf.au, and he was of the mind that it should be on by default.
> > > Can I change it, and should that occur before this impending release?
> > Please do not change it unless problem with Win9X will be fixed -- Win9X
> > clients do not work correctly when 'use sendfile = yes' is in place.
>
> Hmmm, why is this? The client should not be able to tell that you did not
> copy the data to userspace before sending it out the socket.
Just try this with Win9X/ME clients -- they don't like to work with PDC on
Samba 3.0.x if 'use sendfile = yes'. In particular, browsing is broken
sometimes and you can't access shares on a PDC. Once 'use sendfile = no'
is in place, everything works.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/