wins replication between samba servers

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jan 23 20:02:46 GMT 2004

"Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" wrote:
:
> Chris,
>
> before you start with coding, can you please send a design approach to
> the list, this will be a very large project, and I'm not shure if this
> would go into the 3.* series.
>
> maybe a complete rewritte of nmbd would the better way.
> and integrate this into samba4.
>
> I'm current writting a Netbios Session Service over TCP client lib,
> and I wanted to writte a datagram Service and a Name service lib too.

Well, I want to do all of that myself.
I'm jealous that you've got the time.  :)

The NBT area is a specialty of mine now and I have been working (slowly) on
an NBT daemon.  Problem is, I haven't even had time to read your design
docs.  Would be nice if I could work with you on the design.

I would not write WINS replication without posting docs on its workings
first.  I've been promising to document on this for years.  Between my job,
my book, and my family, I haven't had time.  I apologize.

> And then a rewritte of the server side would be very nice, with uses the
> some protocol structs like the client libs, in the same way we've done
> this with the smb and rpc protocols...

I would really love to be working together with you on this.  I've got a lot
of ideas and I've been thinking about it for years.  Since I can't, I hope
that I can at least be of use to you.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org