wins replication between samba servers

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 17:55:12 GMT 2004

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:06, Alex Deiter wrote:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>
>>>wins replication between samba servers possible ?
>>>i compile wrepld, start it, and get error:
>>>
>>>Can't open wins database file wins.tdb
>>>
>>>but in source/nmbd/nmbd_winsserver.c i see #define WINS_LIST "wins.dat"
>>
>>This code is broken, in particular it's link with nmbd has been removed,
>>and cannot function until major work on both nmbd and wrepld is done
>>(possibly combining their function).
>

> It is something that I really want to study and understand.  I just haven't
> had time.  It's high on my list.

Chris,

before you start with coding, can you please send a design approach to
the list, this will be a very large project, and I'm not shure if this
would go into the 3.* series.

maybe a complete rewritte of nmbd would the better way.
and integrate this into samba4.

I'm current writting a Netbios Session Service over TCP client lib,
and I wanted to writte a datagram Service and a Name service lib too.

And then a rewritte of the server side would be very nice, with uses the
some protocol structs like the client libs, in the same way we've done
this with the smb and rpc protocols...

--
metze

Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> www.samba.org