Kerberos Support in Samba 3.0 Client

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 12:15:08 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 23:05, Seppi Kerschbaumer wrote:
> We are currently working on a single-sign-on project in our university.
> Authorization via Kerberos with a Linux - and Mac Client on a Windows Domain
> Controller works quite good, but the problem is that the homedirectory is
> stored locally on the client machine.
>
> What we want to achieve is that the homedirectory can be stored on the
> domain controller and mounted whenever a user logs on on the client.
>
> We read that in Samba 3.0 Client Kerberos is included but the Kerberos
> feature has not been released due to a lack of tests. Now we would like to get
> this Samba 3.0 Client version with this Keberos feature, and we would agree to
> do some tests with it.

This is incorrect.  The Samba 3.0 smbclient includes kerberos, and uses
it when the -k option is specified.

Your issue is that smbfs is not sufficient to use as a home directory,
and does not support kerberos against Win2k.

Unfortunately, the 'solution' to most of these issues (running the CIFS
VFS) is also incapable of using kerberos to handle this.  Instead, you
need to use 'pam_mount' and the NTLM authentication.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net